An ordinary day of 221B Baker Street
I really love that they have breakfast together. I just do, I love that. I like the scene it suggests, and the many other scenes it’s clearly built upon. There’s a familiarity about it all; they’ve done this before. They do this all the time. They have a routine of sorts. This is their life. It’s good.
John gets up, takes a shower, gets dressed: Sherlock doesn’t bother. He just pulls on his dressing gown and sits down to eat.
Does John wake up first?
Everything suggests that he does; he’s the one who’s dressed. Not that that’s the most definitive evidence in the world. Sometimes, we know, Sherlock doesn’t appear to bother getting dressed all day. In canon, Watson notes Holmes’ typical late mornings. And John, on the other hand, has probably spent most of his adult life in the military; a life full of early mornings. That’s a tough habit to break. Can I make a presumption, then? (This is fiction, not science, after all. I don’t need water-tight evidence to form an opinion and run off on a tangent. Obviously.) That’s it, settled: John wakes up first. Most of the time, surely.
Does John wake Sherlock for breakfast? Or does he move as quietly as he can through the morning, putting the kettle on, picking up the paper, peering into the fridge, waiting to hear a familiar huff and grumble from Sherlock’s bedroom? Any moment now. Any moment. Look at John: he’s happy. He likes his breakfasts with Sherlock. So he waits for it: any moment now, Sherlock will wake up and join him. He doesn’t ask for company; he just gets it.
Does Sherlock wake up when John puts the kettle on? Does he wake up to the sound of John pulling plates down from a cupboard, or running water into the sink? Or is it when John’s in the shower that he wakes up, to the sound of water running, the sound of it hitting John’s skin, then drifts off into a half-sleep again until he hears the kettle boil?
In any case, Sherlock gets up. Eventually. Before his breakfast is cold. Just in time, probably.
He rubs the sleep out of his eyes. He yawns. he doesn’t bother to do up his dressing gown. John probably says, “Good morning,” or something like it. A dig about the evening before, a complaint about an experiment, or too much noise in the night, or a question about a case. Do they pick up a conversation where they left off? Something half-finished from the evening before? Or new things, random things, the things you say in the morning. “I dreamed I was on boat.” I can’t imagine Sherlock would be that interested in hearing about dreams, or relating them. But you start conversations like that in the morning, just because. It’s the familiarity. “We were going in circles, and no one noticed.” Nothing that requires a comment. Just things you say.
And they have breakfast, drink coffee, read the paper. They probably chat about the headlines. It’s an ordinary day. Nothing remarkable. It’s moments before the next thing happens.
This is probably as happy as either of these men will ever be.
That is a lovely comment. :3
- benedict-sherlock-ruins-my-life reblogged this from cumberbatchlives
- tangledinfandoms-lily reblogged this from princessnovak
- elaine-moon reblogged this from scottsonnier
- kuri-burimoose likes this
- sherlcko reblogged this from inside-the-mind-of-a-wallflower
- writerswritingwriters reblogged this from high-functioning-superwholock
- pookstiel likes this
- superwholockedtrekkie reblogged this from ihopeyourapplepiewasworthit
- incandescentautumn reblogged this from ilikeyoucanwehug
- keep-the-fxking-faith reblogged this from thefaultinourfandom5
- jessrawrca reblogged this from blackphantom1412
- bedhead-and-bedfeathers likes this
- a-winchesters-curse reblogged this from personal-blog-of-john-watson
- iamrandomosity reblogged this from blackphantom1412
- blackphantom1412 reblogged this from mobiaddict
- mobiaddict reblogged this from huntingforlokiinthetardis
- toomuchlovewillkillyou31 reblogged this from winter-is-coming-in221b-baker-st
- why-dont-we-do-it-in-the-road likes this
- sireddiecat reblogged this from lumos5001
- datfangirlisobsessed reblogged this from neverlander-inthe-tardis
- once-upon-a-freaky-fandom likes this
- sammirichey reblogged this from mrcold11
- sammirichey likes this
- mrcold11 reblogged this from winter-is-coming-in221b-baker-st
- ascreed reblogged this from winter-is-coming-in221b-baker-st
- winter-is-coming-in221b-baker-st reblogged this from john-watson-is-sher-locked
- winter-is-coming-in221b-baker-st likes this
- the-blackroze reblogged this from neverlander-inthe-tardis
- the-blackroze likes this
- neverlander-inthe-tardis reblogged this from tennanteer
- eggs-benedictcucumberpatch reblogged this from earflaphat
- wild-was-the-wind reblogged this from lucidi-ty
- coo1cats reblogged this from brown-eyed-girl912
- snowflaked23 reblogged this from fezfreakingtastic
- tennanteer reblogged this from nothingbecameeverybodysfool
- shakeitoncethatsfine reblogged this from punker-than-thou
- shakeitoncethatsfine likes this
- punker-than-thou reblogged this from hufflepuffs-for-the-find
- tadhahaha likes this
- teamhappythedragon likes this
- icrossmyhearts reblogged this from grazelhaze
- angelchrys likes this
- ideasarebullletproof reblogged this from sex-doesnt-alarm-me
- thylacinefeathers reblogged this from iprayforangels
- walkingissooverated likes this
- godsrollerbladingunicorn reblogged this from grazelhaze
- ideal-mina likes this
- didyoujustboopmynose reblogged this from myotpswontleavemealone
- didyoujustboopmynose likes this
- bibidolly likes this