SHERLOCK actor Benedict Cumberbatch has admitted he GIGGLED after Sun readers voted him the world’s sexiest man.
The star of BBC1’s hit detective series triumphed in our poll earlier this month ahead of boyband heart-throbs One Direction and a host of other hunky stars.
He got more than double the votes of the runner-up, footie idol David Beckham, The Only Way Is Essex star Joey Essex was third and the next three spots went to One Direction’s Harry Styles, Zayn Malik and Niall Horan.
But speaking at the Bafta TV awards on Sunday, Benedict insisted he does NOTsee himself as a sex symbol.
He said: “I don’t know about being the sexiest man in the world. I am barely the sexiest man in my flat and I’m the only guy living there.
“It makes me laugh because I see all the faults — I have spent 35 years of my life with myself.
“But I am very flattered. I don’t know how else to take it but to be flattered and giggle.”
His self-effacing words are nothing new. Benedict, who also starred in movie thriller Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy last year, once described himself as looking like racehorse Shergar and said: “I’ve wanted to play roles that have gone to better-looking people.”
His sister, Tracy Peacock, even told The Sun that Benedict’s intelligence puts off the girls.
But as he walked up the red carpet for the Baftas at London’s Royal Festival Hall, the fans went mad — and he defied blazing temperatures to sign a brace of autographs.
Afterwards, he gasped: “I’ve had to go inside and have ice cubes put to my wrists.”
Benedict was nominated for Best Actor for his portrayal of super sleuth Sherlock Holmes but lost out to Dominic West, for his role as serial murderer Fred West in ITV1 drama Appropriate Adult.
Benedict said: “It is enormously exciting to be here. It is a hot day and there is hot competition.
“Thankfully I am not a competitive person — you have to be a little bit for acting roles but you try to kid yourself they are not competition, otherwise it drives you mad.”
Asked about Sherlock, he said: “It’s extraordinary. We made it with confidence. It has exponentially grown, and considering we only have six episodes it’s amazing how iconic it has become.
“We love filming Sherlock and the expectations are high so we have to keep working. That’s a lovely feeling for us.
“He will develop, it will develop, and we will keep trying to outdo our last efforts.”
Sherlock did win the Best Suporting Actor award — for Andrew Scott as evil Moriarty. In a shock result, he beat Benedict’s co-star Martin Freeman, who plays Watson.
Andrew said: “I want to congratulate the other incredible actors, including Martin Freeman, who is a brilliant actor, colleague and human being. I was very grateful to be asked to play the part of Moriarty.”
At the Baftas, the galaxy of stars on show made the most of the summer sun.
One Show host Alex Jones, in a bright yellow dress, said: “I thought the sun is out so why not wear something bright? We don’t get weather like this very often.”
Comedian Miranda Hart reckoned she had made a fashion error, joking: “I’ve gone for a winter jacket — so that shows my fashion sense.”
Former Towie star Amy Childs declared: “I’ve toned down the fake tan and gone for a classy look.”
TV treasure Rolf Harris, honoured with a Lifetime Acheivement gong, said: “When I got told about the award, I was, like, ‘Wow!’ It is humbling and thrilling. I wake up these days with aches and pains. But as long as you can still do something creative, that is great.”
Aussie Rolf hosts a Diamond Jubilee art workshop next Tuesday on BBC1, inviting artists of all abilities to paint scenes from the Queen’s last 60 years.
And he revealed: “It would be really lovely to paint Wills and Kate.”
- ger-aldinee reblogged this from cumberqueen
- electriceidolon likes this
- nekodemon6662 likes this
- bnedict likes this
- claricedemedici reblogged this from ellie5192
- ellie5192 reblogged this from cumberqueen
- elusiveginger reblogged this from cumberqueen
- whogrooveson reblogged this from cumberqueen and added:
- dancegivesmewings likes this
- daiedalous reblogged this from dysfunctionalpuppy
- dysfunctionalpuppy reblogged this from wibblywobblyconsultingavenger
- wibblywobblyconsultingavenger reblogged this from cumberqueen
- gossamer--toffee likes this
- eachandeverydimension reblogged this from cumberqueen
- tantei-iggy23 reblogged this from cumberqueen
- rachikat reblogged this from cumberqueen
- almaperegrines reblogged this from cumberqueen and added:
- andierigsters likes this
- cocaqueuera reblogged this from cumberqueen
- jali-jali likes this
- danaschiemann likes this
- elephantintheroom-territory likes this
- thebrain-theheart likes this
- camaaron likes this
- captain-sky reblogged this from questionsleftunanswered
- mydarlingbenedict likes this
- wth-is-a-hufflepuff likes this
- postreichenbachstressdisorder likes this
- white-tea likes this
- saniday likes this
- questionsleftunanswered reblogged this from cumberqueen
- formlessandvoid likes this
- jim-mewriarty reblogged this from cumberqueen
- holmesostasis reblogged this from cumberqueen
- sprinklesmcmuffin reblogged this from grahann
- sprinklesmcmuffin likes this
- lissaraptor reblogged this from heister501 and added:
- whilewestillhave-time likes this
- heister501 reblogged this from iamsherlokid
- iamsherlokid reblogged this from cumberqueen
- mrs-hudson-took-my-skull reblogged this from grahann
- grahann reblogged this from cumberqueen
- grahann likes this
- notmydivision-cumbersnatched reblogged this from cumberqueen
- dearjimmoriartea reblogged this from eatalltherude
- rehfan likes this
- eatalltherude reblogged this from pancakeholmes
- welladayseraph likes this
- dahmerzombiebitch likes this
- palelyloitering reblogged this from pancakeholmes